- They both produce aesthetically pleasing, beautiful wallpapers
- Both successful - in terms of popularity and demand
- Both reinvented traditions - Timorous Beasties have reworked traditional designs and updated them, making them relevant to the Twenty-First Century. For example - Glasgow Toile and Damask. Clare Coles employs an innovative approach, drawing from tradition by sourcing old, vintage papers and injecting a contemporary feel with her embroidered imagery.
- Materials - Clare Coles uses stitch and embellishment with leather and gems. Timorous Beasties screen print their designs, fulfilling what is expected of a traditional wallcovering.
- Content - Clare Coles papers are merely visually pleasing. Timorous Beasties achieve this and a layer of intelliegence/meaning through the use of deceptive, unusual imagery.
Therefore: These two designers shows that the creation of wallpapers is becoming cross-disciplinary adding diversity to the market and providing endless inspiration for aspiring designers. The popularity of wallpaper is increasing and is back in demand. Clare Coles and Timorous Beasties may differ in their approach and the materials that they use. However, they both produce beautiful, innovative papers that are helping the wallpaper industry to evolve.