Tuesday 19 February 2008

Wallcoverings Brief

I've been giving some consideration to the new brief and like the idea of a 'Conversational Print'. I'd like to approach it with the same method as in my other work - in that a series of illustrations/line drawings can be combined to produce a rhythmic print across a wallcovering.

The above papers obviously directly relate to bird imagery, employing the use of line drawings and block silhouettes which I feel could be effectively combined. I love the Marimekko street scene below due to the approach to the actual drawing- it's loose, bold and energetic.

Jocelyn Warner - I came across her wallpapers through research and they've given me inspiration for the reinvention part of this project. She experiments with quality of line and scale, often using large scale floral imagery as the focus of her papers. I feel they're really effective. Her colour use also helps to ensure the impact isn't too great - for example a soft apple green as opposed to a bold, striking black line which may appear over dominant in a living space.

I like the large scale repeat of the tropical leaves within Cole and Son's paper and feel the use of different marks in the Marimekko print and the colour use make for an effective print.

No comments: